March 10, 2010

35mm Square Format !!

Here's a pic of a cheap Thrift store plastic camera I think it cost 1.50...
I added the paint job to be cheeky ;) anyway I decided to Frankenstein this bad boy and create a 35mm square format camera! Heres how I did it and it was very easy...


I masked the inside of the camera with a small piece of thin cardboard. I used superglue to hold it in place but you could use tape if you want so you can remove it in order to use it for normal 35mm exposures. I measured the mask for a inch and a half on each side. This appeared to be the largest size square I could make as to try and use as much of the film as possible

Here are the results...

They turned out great in my opinion! Ohh and I also masked the viewfinder in order to help with composition just a tip in case you feel like trying this yourself! Its a fun cheap way to shoot Square format and highly portable too. I know you can crop to a square in Photoshop or Lightroom ect... but there is nothing quite like shooting and composing for a square out in the field!!

No comments:

Post a Comment